Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Perfect Size Reversible Lunchtime Pouch

Saw this bag reviewed on Mia's Creations.  This is a PDF pattern by Projects by Jane.  Since Mia had a coupon for this bag, I thought I would try this designer. I really liked the round bottom and I needed a lunch bag, and thought it would be perfect for my salad container.  Bought the pattern and made it.  As you see, it was a bit too small.


So I decided to resize it by adjusting the size in the Print option.  Jane even has a tutorial on her blog on how to resize the templates.  Printer was out of ink, and there was no extra cartridge.  So I decided to go back to the old math formula.  Since I knew what  finished diameter I needed, I just plugged it into this formula (had to google it since I could not remember it)

Circumference = pi multiplied by diameter 

It worked!


The round bottom:


I also like the way casing is made.  It's a bit different from other drawstring bags in that the ties are right at the top without a border/ flange.



I used a quilting cotton for the fabric.  I interfaced the exterior bottom with a fusible fleece and the lining bottom with a medium weight woven fusible called Presto.  The only problem I had was when sewing the bottom, there were puckers, so I resewed it at 1/4 inch (6mm) seam allowance instead of the 3/8 inch.  


4 comments:

  1. Your bags are so cute. I never thought to resize them. Guess I'll be making loads more in different sizes in the future. Thanks for linking back to me and for sharing your link so I could see your pouches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am always inspired by your sewing.

      Delete
  2. Hi. Maria alerted me to your blog post and I also saw the review you posted in Etsy. Thank you so much for the review! It's interesting (for me) to read what people think of my pattern. I'm quite intrigued by the fabric you used in the last image for the body. It looked like it had been hand printed with leaves! And did you just happen to have the perfect fabric for the lining and bottom! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Fabrics are quilting batiks bought a long time ago. I also posted a review on Pattern Review, but due to the limited space, the pattern name would not fit.

      Delete